Orphan Relative (Subclass 837)
Orphan Relative (a) (Subclass 117) – Off Shore
(b) (Subclass 837) - Onshore
The Orphan Relative (Subclass 117 or Subclass 837) is a visa that lets a child who is ‘orphaned’ to live with a relative In Australia if their parents are dead, incapacitated or unable to be found.
With this visa
Successful applicants will be entitled to live in Australia permanently. They will be able to study and access Medicare. When eligible, they may be able to apply for Australian Citizenship.
General eligibility criteria
To be eligible, the child must;
- be sponsored by a likely sibling or step-sibling, grandparent or step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle.
- Sponsor must be approved by the Australia Dept. of Immigration
- The child may be inside or outside of Australia
- The child must not have a parent who can care for them
- The grant of the visa must be in the ‘best interest’ of the child
The child must meet Australian health and character requirements