Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485)
Who this visa is for
The Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) allows international students to live and work in Australia on a temporary basis after the completion of their eligible studies in Australia.
This visa has two streams:
- Graduate Work stream – granted for 18 months
- Post-Study Work stream – granted for either 2, 3 or 4 years (depending on the level of qualifications studied in Australia).
What this visa lets you do
The Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) is a Temporary Residence visa. Once granted, it allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:
- stay in Australia for the duration of the visa (see above)
- work and study in Australia (without restriction)
- travel to and from Australia (without restriction)
- apply to bring eligible family members to Australia as dependants on your visa.
General eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485), you must meet both the common eligibility criteria plus the eligibility criteria of either of the Graduate or Post-Study Work stream.
To be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa, you must:
- be under 50 years of age
- hold an eligible (qualifying) visa
- have met the Australian study requirement within the last six (6) months
- have met the relevant English language requirement at the time of lodgement
- hold adequate health insurance cover in Australia (EasyMigrate can assist with this upon request)
- meet relevant health and character requirements
- meet the specific requirements of either the Graduate or Post-Study Work stream.
Graduate stream specific criteria:
To be eligible for the Graduate stream of this visa, in addition to the common eligibility criteria (above), you must:
- nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL)
- have met the Australian study requirement on the basis of course(s) closely related to your nominated occupation
- have lodged a skills assessment for your nominated occupation with the relevant assessing authority at the time of visa lodgement (this will need to be approved before the visa can be granted).
Post-Study Work stream specific criteria:
To be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream of this visa, in addition to the common eligibility criteria (above), you must:
- have applied for your first (ever) Australian Student visa on or after the 5th of November, 2011
- have met the Australian study requirement on the basis of an eligible qualification (generally a Bachelors Degree or higher)
The above list is not intended to be exhaustive and further eligibility requirements do apply.
For more information or to see if you qualify, please make an enquiry with one of our qualified and experienced Migration Consultants.
The contents on this website should be read in conjunction with our Website Disclaimer.