Four Steps for UK and European Doctors Migrating to Australia

posted in: News | 0
Share this page


With Australia paying their doctors up to 50 per cent more than the UK, it is easy to understand why many UK and other overseas doctors are considering migrating to Australia. There are a number of different doctor occupations on the Australian Skilled Occupations List, and there are also a number of different visa options available. Finding the correct visa subclass to apply for can be confusing for many people who are considering migrating. We have compiled four steps to help you;

  1. Find out if your Occupation is on the combined Skilled Occupations Lists
  2. Speak to a Registered Migration Agent for visa advice. The agent will be able to tell you which visa pathway you should apply for, how long the process may be, how much it will cost and what documents you will need to submit.
  3. For permanent residency in Australia, you will undergo a Skills Assessment as this will be required to lodge a visa application. But for company-sponsored temporary visas, this is not compulsory. For regional areas there are “exemptions” but for work as a Medical Practitioner in a metro-area it is compulsory to have “Australian Registration”
  4. Australian Registration is handled by the Australian Medical Board (AMB)


Australia has lots of employment opportunities for medical practitioners who are looking to leave the grey rain clouds of the UK/Europe behind and start afresh in beautiful sunny Australia.

Alecto Australia is a recruitment company who specialise with General Practitioners jobs. You can find your perfect job today by just searching their vacancy list and the book to speak with one of our team regarding migration advice.