Australia compares better regards same-sex co-habitation than USA or India

Share this page


Australia Immigration proved friendlier for Same-Sex couples compared to USA or India –  read what Cyrus Mistry had to say to The Times of India

MUMBAI: Rohan (name changed), who was working in the USA on an H-1B visa, was shocked to learn that he could not sponsor his same-sex partner for an H-4 dependent visa. Immigration laws of the US do not recognise any non-marital relationships.

The Supreme Court of India has recently ended the criminalisation of homosexuality. However, the marriage of same-sex couples is still not permitted in India. In this backdrop, other countries like Canada, Australia and the UK, which recognise conjugal co-habitation between same-sex partners, provided the couple has lived together for a certain number of years, prove friendlier from the immigration perspective. For countries like the US, Indian couples have the option of getting married in a country where it is recognised.

Cyrus Mistry, Perth-based director of EasyMigrate Consultancy Services, told TOI: 

Even before Australia legalised same-sex marriage, the immigration department had a special visa category called ‘Interdependent Relationship’ to meet the needs of same-sex partners. Today, both a married relationship or a ‘de facto’ relationship is recognised for immigration purposes.
He added,
The same-sex couple could be’married’ if their country allows for it or they can be a ‘de-facto’ couple who have been living together for the last twelve months.
If you are in a relationship with an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident an Australian Partner Visa may allow you to live in Australia with your partner whether you are married, in a de-facto relationship, same-sex or heterosexual, there is a visa that is right for you. There are many different things to consider before applying, and it can be a very confusing and stressful process.
Our migration agents will be happy to check your eligibility and explain to you what visa subclass you should consider. If you would like advice from our team of Register Migration Agents, book in for Initial Consultation now.