Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 489) – Provisional
Who this visa is for
The provisional Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 489) allows suitably skilled migrants to live and work in a specified regional area of Australia for up to four (4) years. It is a sponsored visa and requires the applicant to be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government or be sponsored by an eligible relative who resides in a designated regional area of Australia.
This visa is points-tested and requires the applicant be invited to apply for the visa through the SkillSelect programme.
What this visa lets you do
The Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 489) is a Provisional Residency visa . Once granted, it allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:
- stay in a regional area of Australia for up to four (4) years
- work and study in a regional area of Australia
- travel to and from Australia during the validity of the visa
Note: This visa provides a pathway to Permanent Residence through the Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 887) – Residence.
General eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply for a provisional Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 489), you must have lodged an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the Department of Immigration’s SkillSelect programme and have been invited to apply for the visa.
To be granted this visa, at the time you are invited to apply, you must:
- be under 50 years of age
- nominate an occupation that is included on the relevant State or Territory’s Skilled Occupation List (for State or Territory nominated applicants) or the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) (for family sponsored applicants)
- have your skills assessed by the appropriate Australian skills assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation (EasyMigrate can manage this process for you)
- have Competent English
- score at least 60 points on the relevant points test (including 5 points for being State/Territory nominated or 10 points for sponsorship by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia)
- meet relevant health and character requirements.
The above list is not intended to be exhaustive and further eligibility requirements do apply.
For more information or to see if you qualify, please make an enquiry with one of our qualified and experienced Migration Consultants.
The contents on this website should be read in conjunction with our Website Disclaimer.