Temporary Activity (Subclass 408)
The Temporary Activity (Subclass 408) visa is part of Australia’s approved special programs. This is a temporary visa that lets the applicants participate in special programs, religious work, research activities, Invited for other social & cultural, sporting activities, entertainment activities, exchange arrangements, Australian Government Endorsed Events and Domestic work for executives that can include youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community programs, school language assistants its gap year school volunteering.
Successful applicants can be granted this visa for different reasons, as follows:
- Special Programs (usually twelve months) that can include youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community programs, school language assistants or gap year school volunteering.
- Religious work (up to two years) that includes participating in full-time religious work for religious institutions in Australia.
- Research Activities lets the applicant observe or participate in research projects at research or tertiary institution in Australia
- Invited for other social & cultural activity (Invited Participant) (up to three months) to participate in the community-based events, this may include sporting events.
- Sporting Activities ( up to two years) lets the applicant come to Australia to play, coach, instruct/adjudicate for an Australian team, or complete high-level sports training with a sporting organisation.
- Entertainment Activities (up to two years) lets the applicant visit Australia to work in the entertainment industry on film, television or live productions
- Superyacht Crew (up to twelve months) enables the applicant to work in Australia as a crew member of a superyacht.
- Exchange Arrangements ( up to two years) lets the applicant come to Australia as part of exchange staff with an Australian organisation.
- Australian Government endorsed Events (up to four years) is available for entrepreneurs participating in the Supporting Innovation in South Australia.
- Domestic work for executives (up to two years) lets the applicant do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
- All the above categories can include the family unit
General eligibility criteria
To be eligible, the applicant must;
- Have the skills to undertake the activity to be carried out in Australia
- Be supported or sponsored
- Meet additional requirements of the relevant stream
COVID-19 Subclass 408
To be eligible for COVID-19 Pandemic Subclass 408 applicant must;
- remain in Australia if you have no other visa options and are unable to depart Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.
- remain in Australia to assist in critical sectors including healthcare, disability and aged care, childcare and agriculture during the COVID-19 pandemic.